- Pasture Prime Half chickens work beautifully with this method.
- Use indirect high heat on your grill (bank coals for charcoal or leave 1-2 burners off for gas)
- Rub chicken halves with oil & salt & pepper or use Uncle Bob’s BBQ Sauce
- Wings should be tucked under breast
- Chicken should be placed skin side down with brick on top, covered until crisp & golden approximately 20-30 min
- After removing bricks, turn chicken with tongs, skin side up and replace brick
- Continue cooking until your thermometer registers 160-165, about 20-25 minutes more. Let rest before serving.
You can also Spatchcock (Butterfly) a whole chicken by removing the back bone.
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit, July 2013