Berkshire Sausage & Mushroom Pizza Snacks
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- 6 oz. Pasture Prime Sausage your choice or Italian, Mexican Chorizo, Breakfast/Sage, casings removed
- 4 oz. fresh Mushrooms preferably a mix, chopped-2 1/4 Cups
- 1/2 medium Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh Rosemary or 1/4 tsp dried
- Kosher Salt
- 3 TBSP Brown Ale such as Newcastle
- 4 5- inch pieces French baguette split lengthwise (or hoagy roll)
- 3 oz. 1/3 cup mascarpone
- 4 oz. fresh Mozzarella cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh flat leaf Parsley
Position a rack about 8 inches from the broiler, and heat broiler on High
In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat
Add the sausage and cook, breaking it apart
Cook until golden brown in places, about 3 minutes
Transfer sausage with slotted spoon to medium bowl
Add mushrooms, onion, rosemary and 1/2 tsp salt to skillet
Cover and cook, stirring once, until mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
Add beer and scrape up browned bits on bottom of pan
Simmer until beer evaporates, about 1 minute.
Toss with the sausage
Meanwhile, toast the baguette on a sheet pan, cut side up, under the broiler until lightly golden and crisp, 1-2 minutes
Spread the bread or roll with the mascarpone and season lightly with S & P.
Top with the sausage mixture and then mozzarella.
Broil until cheese melts, about 3 minutes
Sprinkle with parsley, cool briefly and serve.
Perfect fast and easy to serve on game day or on school nights. A real crowd pleaser!
Adapted from Fine Cooking