Classic Pork Loin Roast
- Pasture raised pork loin roast
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of sage
Season with salt and pepper. Place roast with fat side up on rack in open roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into center of roast. Place in 300 °F degree oven and roast about 30 minutes per pound. The meat thermometer should register about 145-165 °F degrees when done.
Make gravy from drippings. A pinch of sage will season this recipe for pork loin roast just right.
Spicy, Asian-inspired meatballs with ginger and scallions. A fantastic way to cook our Berkshire Ground Pork.
Yields 1 gallon
3 ea Lemons
12 ea Bay Leafs
2 oz Flat Leaf Parsley, Washed
½ oz Thyme, Fresh
¼ cup Honey
9ea Garlic Cloves
1/3 cup Black Peppercorns
5 oz Kosher Salt
1 gal Water
*Combine all ingredients in large pot, cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Stir to dissolve salt. Remove from heat and cool down completely before adding product.
Saucy Country-Style Oven Ribs
yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
active time: 45 min
total time: 2 1/2 hr
Linda Kuipers of Traverse City, Michigan, writes: “A labor of love, this compilation of barbecue recipes accommodates a little of each of my family.
- 4 lb boneless country-style pork ribs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (12 oz)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons drained bottled horseradish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
Put ribs in a 6- to 8-quart pot and cover with water by two inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, skimming froth, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook onion and garlic in oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Drain pork in a colander and pat dry, then arrange in 1 layer using tongs in a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Pour sauce over pork to coat evenly, then cover dish tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour, then remove foil and carefully turn pork over with tongs and cook, uncovered, until very tender, about 30 minutes. Skim fat from sauce if desired.
Spicy Pork Skewers
Morroccan meat skewers, or kefta, are made into sausage shapes; we like ours rolled into little meatballs.
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion $
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes (if using metal skewers, proceed to step 2). Drain and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the pork, garlic, cumin, paprika, onion, salt, and pepper. Form into small meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball, then thread the meat onto the skewers.
- 3. Lay skewers over medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and no longer pink in the center, about 8 minutes. Serve warm.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.